Keeping your smile safe and clean is important for everyone who wants a stellar smile. However, plaque buildup in your mouth can lead to tissue infection, which at its early stages is known as gingivitis. Here are some things you should know about gingivitis:
– If your gums are displaying signs of excessive redness, swelling, or tenderness in your gums, it may be the result of gingivitis.
– If left untouched, gingivitis can lead to severe gum disease and eventual tooth loss.
– Bad habits such as smoking or chewing tobacco can lead to gingivitis.
– Gingivitis is normally first spotted in your gums that bleed regularly or easily.
– Several factors such as genetics, diabetes, pregnancy, and medications you may be taking can all increase your likelihood of developing gingivitis.
– Bad breath, also referred to as halitosis, is a known symptom of gingivitis.
– Gingivitis can be triggered by poor oral hygiene, especially if you fail to brush your teeth twice every day and floss once a day.
If you would like to speak with Dr. Jeffrey C. Hambleton and our team about gingivitis, please schedule an appointment at our office of Lawrence Periodontics, LLC in Lawrence, Kansas, by calling 785-312-3820. Let us help you find your healthy smile.